Clients often ask me why they need to take certain precautions with their health rather than just eat their ‘veggies’. My answer is always the same. It’s too late for that.
We live on a denatured planet that is being killed by toxic waves from mobile phones and microwaves, oil spills that have annihilated the Gulf and oceans, spraying of the atmosphere with aluminium oxide and toxic poisons in our food, makeup and soaps.
Without sounding too paranoid the point is that we need to be aware of what we are putting on our skin, in our hair and into our digestive systems and in some way combat the bombardment of toxins. Our protection is vitamins, herbs to detox and phytonutrients.
Did you know that the stuff that makes your shampoo sudsy is toxic? It’s called Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and is used as a degreasing agent. That is why if you wash your greasy hands from the car with shampoo it comes off. This is what some of us are putting in our hair before we go on that ‘hot’ date? Not quite as sexy when it’s put that way, is it?
It also enters your bloodstream (through your skin) and increases the toxin level of your organs, can irritate your eyes, affect your reproductive system and cause cell mutations. Some shampoos also contain dioxane which studies have shown can be linked to breast cancer. This is also an ingredient of some cosmetics. Diethanolamine or DEA is another ingredient in both shampoos and some cosmetics in concentrations that are often not safe. It reacts with preservatives and creates nitrosodiethanolamine which has been known to cause cancer. It also blocks you from absorbing Choline, which is one of the B vitamins important in development of the brain and during pregnancy.
Parabens are often also in shampoos and these can affect your endocrine system which includes the hypothalamus, pituitary, thyroid, pancreas, adrenal, pineal gland and the gonads. In short it affects your hormones which regulate all functions in your body and tell the cells how to act. Parabens are often disguised as Propylparaben, Parahydroxybenzoic acid, propyl-parahydroxybenzoic acid and several other names all containing the benzoic acid add ons or the word paraben at the end
Another poison is the endless sauces and packaged food such as soups etc that contain MSG. We all know about the side effects such as headaches, dizziness, nausea, drowsiness and in some extreme cases even death. Did you know this could be in your shampoo disguised in the form of glutamic acid or amino acids and it goes into your body via your open pores? And don’t forget the Propylene Glycol found in antifreeze, tyre sealants, paint and varnish has been put in because it acts as a solvent. It can irritate your skin and affect your liver and kidneys.
Since the skin is such an absorbent organ when you shampoo your hair all these products enter your bloodstream. Your skin does not protect your body because when toxins are absorbed by the skin they bypass the liver and enter the bloodstream and tissues directly instead of being disposed of the way they are when you ingest them. To top it off you are probably also using the shampoo in a hot shower which has opened all your pores.
When you eat toxic food the enzymes in your saliva and stomach breaks them down and they go through your liver and kidneys before they are to some extent expelled in the toilet but when something enters through your skin this does not happen so your shampoo may be poisoning your body.
However having said all this there is also a problem with natural shampoos also and that is that they tend to leave a residue on the hair that can make it look dull and feel unclean. They are also not always as pH balanced, can damage the ends and they don’t lather as well so you don’t feel as if they clean properly.
Given all of the above from such a simple thing as a bottle of shampoo is it any wonder that we need to take proper supplements to protect ourselves? It is essential that you take a multi-vitamin daily, get enough antioxidants, take digestive enzymes and not laxatives, drink enough clear filtered water and eat three fruit and vegetables daily as well as a serving of protein. You can be assured if you don’t protect yourself when you are younger that by the time you reach your older years you will need to take some form of drugs to undo the effects of the toxic environment on your body and it may not be the case that these will always do their job. You are responsible for your health and your life, not your practitioner or your doctor.